Hello doctor! Recently, I found out treating acne with toothpaste that is said to be effective and safe for the skin, so I want to try it. But I’m still quite skeptical about this method. Is treating acne with toothpaste good or not? Thank you, doctor.
Ms. Phuong, Phu Nhuan District, HCM City
Why do many people apply acne treatment with toothpaste?
In fact, many people still mistakenly think toothpaste is effective for acne treatment because the ingredients contained in toothpaste can help treat acne.
- First: toothpaste contains substances that can kill bacteria, but those are the bacteria that cause bad breath, but many people believe that they can also kill acne bacteria.
- Second: toothpaste contains baking soda, alcohol, and hydrogen peroxide that are substances that are capable of drying the skin and acne.
- Third: toothpaste often contains mint essence, when applied to acne, it gives a cool, numbing feeling that can reduce swelling and pain caused by acne.
These are very harmful myths about acne treatment with toothpaste. However, these tips are widely used by many people, but they do not anticipate its dangers.
Acne treatment with toothpaste can cause dangerous risks
Toothpaste can damage the skin
Toothpaste contains ingredients that can dry out acne quickly, so you’d assume the acne has been treated.
However, along with the dried acne is the irritation and redness due to excessive cleansing by ingredients such as glycerin, sorbitol, sodium lauryl sulfate, fluoride, and sodium hydrogen carbonate in toothpaste. Although it helps clean teeth, it is completely not suitable for sensitive skin areas such as the face.
Toothpaste disrupts the pH balance of the skin
Healthy skin should be maintained with a pH of around 5. That’s why after washing the face, the skin is pH imbalanced, we need to use a mildly acidic toner to rebalance the pH of the skin.
However, if you apply toothpaste to your skin, it’s a different story. Toothpaste has a quite high alkalinity, the pH is from 7 to 8.5. Using toothpaste on the skin will neutralize the acidity on the skin, in other words, it will disrupt the pH balance of the skin, which makes the skin vulnerable to damage such as irritation, peeling …
Toothpaste does not kill acne bacteria
How to treat acne with toothpaste?
Acne treatment with toothpaste is as follows:
- Step 1: Wash the skin surface with makeup remover and cleanser.
- Step 2: Dry your face with a clean towel.
- Step 3: Apply a sufficient amount of toothpaste on the acne and gently massage in a spiral direction.
- Step 4: Keep the toothpaste on the skin for about 15-20 minutes and then wash your face with cool water.
- Step 5: Moisturize the skin with toner, serum, and moisturizer.
- Apply 2-3 times/week.
Things to remember when having acne treatment with toothpaste
- It is recommended to use ordinary white toothpaste products, do not use products with bright colors, many flavors, and aromas.
- Choose non-gel toothpaste.
- You should choose mild toothpaste made from natural ingredients without containing alcohol and menthol because these ingredients will dry out the skin and clog pores.
- It is recommended to use toothpaste products from well-known and reputable brands.
- Wash the toothpaste thoroughly after applying it to the face for 15 – 20 minutes, avoid leaving it overnight.
- Constantly moisturize the skin after applying toothpaste for acne treatment.
- If skin irritation or redness occurs, stop immediately.
Prestigious cosmetic facilities for acne treatment in HCM City
Skin Get – IPL technology for acne treatment is a modern acne treatment technology, which helps to treat acne to the root, preventing scarring, safely and without acne recurrence.
The advantages of Skin Get – IPL technology for acne treatment at Gangwhoo Cosmetic Hospital are as follows:
- Treat acne to the root effectively and safely after only 1 course of acne treatment.
- Stimulates the process of skin regeneration, recovers the skin from damages.
- Prevents the formation of inflammatory foci on the skin.
- Do not damage the skin.
- Helps to reduce acne dark spots effectively.
- Improve skin health and skin tone.
- Prevent acne recurrence.
Images of our customers before & after having Skin Get – IPL technology for acne treatment at Gangwhoo Cosmetic Hospital
Asides from acne treatment services, Gangwhoo Cosmetic Hospital also provides lots of other skin treatment services with advanced technology, click HERE for more details.
We hope you’ve had enough useful information about the safety and efficiency of acne treatment with toothpast. If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact Gangwhoo Cosmetic Hospital for the most thoughtful consultation and advice.