DOES EATING SEA FISH CAUSE KELOID SCARS?
Lots of people are worried that eating sea fish will cause keloid scars, make the wound fester, swell, and have scars after the open wound heals. In fact, this is a big misunderstanding.
According to Dr. Linh (Head of Dermatology Department at Gangwhoo Cosmetic Hospital), fish is a healthy food rich in protein that is necessary for a quick wound healing process, which helps regenerate new skin cells for the wound. Therefore, you should eat sea fish unless you are allergic to sea fish.
However, the doctor also advises that depending on each specific case that they should avoid or limit eating sea fish. For patients who have are allergic to substances in fish or have allergies that cause itching, swelling of hands and feet when eating sea fish, they should avoid eating sea fish.
In addition, you should eat fish rich in protein such as small fish (edible bones), mackerel, salmon,… and you should avoid eating tuna after surgery.
HOW LONG SHOULD WE ABSTAIN FROM EATING SEA FISH AFTER SURGERY?
For people who have just undergone plastic surgery, you should abstain from eating sea fish for about 1 month. Because by then the wound has completely healed and eating fish does not affect the surgical area anymore. Some people’s natural health status is not benign, the wound will take longer to heal, and they may abstain from eating fish for a longer time.
In case people have are allergic to sea fish, it is best for them not to eat sea fish after surgery or even at normal times. In case you accidentally eat fish during the wound healing process, you should meet doctors immediately for suitable solutions. The doctor may prescribe medication to reduce the irritation of eating sea fish.
FOOD YOU SHOULD AVOID EATING WHEN HAVING OPEN WOUNDS
The main purpose of abstaining from foods is to avoid allergic reactions of the body that cause pain, swelling, or inflammation that produce pus in the wound. If you don’t have any food allergies, you can still eat normally but in moderation.
However, there are still substances that increase bad keloid scars in open wounds after recovery that you should avoid eating until the wound heals as follows:
- Avoid eating foods with high starch content such as sticky rice, rice, etc.
- Avoid eating foods rich in plant protein such as red meat, beef, … because it will cause dark scars. The protein content in eggs can cause scarring that spreads to the surrounding skin.
- Avoid eating chicken, water spinach.
- Avoid eating spicy, hot, and sour food because they can provoke a dangerous inflammatory reaction due to an increased risk of infection.
- Avoid stimulants or alcohol.
FOOD WE SHOULD EAT WHEN HAVING OPEN WOUNDS
In order for open wounds to heal quickly without infection or to prevent scar formation, you need to add to your diet the following groups of substances:
– Foods rich in protein such as fish, eel, shrimp, … that enhance new skin cells regeneration.
– Foods rich in vitamins such as vegetables and fruits to keep the body cool, increase hydration to limit swelling and festering.
Foods containing blood-forming substances (vitamin B12) such as milk, beans, and foods rich in iron. These substances bring metabolized nutrients to the body through food (oxygen, vitamins, proteins, and minerals) to nourish the open wound tissues and limit infection.
THINGS TO REMEMBER WHEN TAKING CARE OF THE OPEN WOUNDS
- Always keep the wound dry and clean with antiseptic solutions, avoid contact with dirt according to the doctor’s instructions to avoid infection.
- Increase water intake to avoid festering, cooling the wound so that the wound will heal quickly.
- Avoid applying homemade mixtures directly to open wounds, except those prescribed by a doctor. This is one of the leading causes of wound infection.
- Do not peel off the scabs to prevent bacteria from entering and causing infection, leaving bad scars later.
- Only use scar gel or drugs when the scab is peeling and young skin is growing.
- Go to medical facilities to be examined when the wound is showing unusual signs such as swelling, pain, festering, etc.
We hope you’ve had enough useful information about whether eating sea fish can cause keloid scars or not. If you have any further questions or concerns about skin treatment, please leave a comment or contact Gangwhoo Cosmetic Hospital via our Hotline: 0901.666.879.