Isotretinoin acne therapy is a widely used method that has provened to have astonishing effectiveness. However, not many know the best way to make use of Isotretinoin. Let’s take a look at the article below to find out the benefits and how to use this medications.
What is Isotretinoin?
Isotretinoin or 3-cis-retinoid acid is a type of Vitamin A extract. Isotretinoin is listed among the skin therapy medications manufactured in capsules with different net weights (10mg, 20mg, 30mg, 40mg)
What makes Isotretinoin shine brighter than other Vitamin A extract like Retinol or Retinol Ester is that it is already activated, meaning that it doesn’t need to be transformed in the liver. Therefore, the acne skin treating ability of Isotretinoin is very powerful, excluding it from over-the-counter medications.
The benefits of Isotretinoin acne therapy
The mechanism of Isotretinoin acne therapy involves controlling and reducing the amount of sebaceous on the skin. In addition, Isotretinoin can also prevent the development of P. acnes bacteria on the skin and reduce the state of inflammation, treating acne effectively.
When should you undergo Isotretinoin acne therapy
The doctors will ask the patient to undergo Isotretinoin acne therapy in these cases:
- The patient is suffering from a severe acne condition.
- The patient has gone through acne therapy using benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, tetracycline, etc. but the result is underwhelming.
- The patient requires extreme treatment that can fight the problem to its root in a short amount of time.
Who is not suitable for Isotretinoin acne therapy
The subjects below are not qualified to take Isotretinoin.
- People who are allergic to Vitamin A extract.
- People who are sensitive to the ingredients inside Isotretinoin.
- Pregnant ladies or those who are breastfeeding.
- People who intend to have blood donation in the near future.
3 things to remember when undergoing Isotretinoin acne therapy
The doses of Isotretinoin
You must keep watch on the doses of Isotretinoin.
According to dermatologists, the suitable amount of Isotretinoin to take for effective acne treatment is 0.5-1 mg/kg of body weight and up to 4-6 months. For cases of severe acne condition, the maximum daily doses are 2mg/kg.
How to use Isotretinoin for acne therapy
The way to use Isotretinoin for acne therapy is:
- Take the doses prescribed by the doctors.
- Take the medications during or after meals.
- Take the medications with bland water, not other types of liquid.
- Take the capsule whole, not smashing it.
- Must not lie down in a minimum of 10 minutes after taking the dose.
(*) If you have Isotretinoin overdoses, you will have these symptoms: headache, dizziness, stomachache, edema, loss of balance, nausea, etc.
How to preserve Isotretinoin
How to preserve Isotretinoin medications:
- Keep the medications somewhere dry.
- Keep the medications from direct sunlight.
- Keep the medications away from children or pets.
- Do not use expired, discolored, or alternated medications.
- Handle the medications as instructed on the label.
4 side effects of Isotretinoin acne therapy
Isotretinoin acne therapy can offer quick and outstanding result; however, the patients may face the following side effects:
- Common side effects: lip and skin dryness, nose bleed, hair loss, and eyelid swelling. These side effects will subside over time.
- Severe side effects: Muscle and joint pain, itchiness, irregular temper, infection, and bone marrow inflammation.
- Extremely severe side effects: Loss of sight, headache, yellow skin, dark-colored piss, diarrhea.
- Skin allergy: itchiness, tongue, face, or throat swelling, breathing difficulty, nausea, dizziness.
Questions related to Isotretinoin acne therapy
What to do when you overdose on Isotretinoin?
When you overdose on Isotretinoin, your body will experience abnormalities and irritation. You must seek the nearest medical center for immediate treatment.
What if you skip 1 dose of Isotretinoin?
You don’t have to be worried too much if you forget to take one dose. Just take the medications as prescribed next time.
What medications can Isotretinoin interact with?
- Isotretinoin can interact with Vitamin A, D, E, K, Iron, Folate, to increase the toxicity of the medications.
- Isotretinoin can interact with tetracyclines to form a fake condition of brain tumors.
- Isotretinoin can interact with pregnancy pills to lower the pill’s effectiveness.
- Isotretinoin can interact with some other supplements like fish oil, amoxicillin, vitamin C, vitamin B12…
What food can Isotretinoin interact with?
- Milk and fatty products will help to absorb Isotretinoin better.
- Drink alcohol after taking the capsules can damage the body.
What health condition can Isotretinoin affect?
Patient with the conditions below should inform the doctors before having Isotretinoin acne therapy
- Liver diseases
- Cardiac diseases or high blood cholesterol level
- Swallowing difficulty
- Medications allergy
- Stomach ulcer
Isotretinoin has proven its effectiveness in acne therapy; however, this medication also comes with many side effects. Therefore, if you want to use Isotretinoin safely, you should consult your doctors first.
If you still have any questions related to popular acne therapies, you can contact Gangwhoo cosmetic hospital for consultation!